Taren Point Bowling Club 1950 – Present
In 1930 Dave Robbie Snr. And his wife Martha, purchased a parcel of land in the Hamlet of Commons Point, where stock was in the area, later to be known as Taren Point.
The high tides from Gwawley Bay flowed across Taren Point Road into Woolooware Bay. What is now known as Sylvania Waters was in fact a mangrove swamp set among the oyster leases.
Due to its location, the small local population was mostly associated with the oyster and fishing industries. There were, however some weekend visitors and retired people. The steam tram ran from Sutherland to Cronulla and a private bus service operated from Cronulla to the City over the Taren Point Punt.
In the late 1940’s the population had grown to a size which made Taren Point one of twenty-two villages within the metropolitan area of Sydney. But still an isolated community – 3 shops and a community hall that served all communal needs, church on Sundays, dance hall and a meeting hall where local issues were discussed. The other “meeting hall” was the passenger compartment on the Taren Point Punt where, in fact there was plenty of time for discussion – Yes! The beginning of Taren Point Bowling Club.
As a result of these discussions, several informal meetings were held both on the punt and in the local hall. The first recorded meeting was on 27th July 1950, when it was resolved that a Bowling Club be formed and a Committee elected. Two further meetings were held on the 16th & 30th August 1950, the latter agreeing to a membership fee of 2.2.0 pound.
On the 15th November 1950 approval was given for the purchase of the land from Jack and Jessie Wills and her brother Dave Robbie Snr. The Club Founders 25th July 1950 were, J.F Wills, J.B. (Jim) Mackay, W.C. (Bill) Gould, Smith, R.Curran and F.W.Lambert.
After many years of hard work by voluntary labour, Number 1 green was completed by June 1954. The first Bowls Day was 24th July 1954 when President Mall Wallis rolled the bowl, and the Club was officially open on the 21st July 1956.
Taren Point continued with its club house on our now half green until the new club house was open on the last Tuesday in November 1968. The club continued to operate until there were further renovations in 1990. Since then the club has been renovated again in 2000, 2008 and currently has seen a change inside the club.
Taren Point Bowling Club has been very successful over many years on the greens. They have won State Pennant Flags; many players have won NSW Championships, many NSW representatives and have had Australian representatives and other International players play for Taren Point.
This Sutherland Shire Bowling Club continues to grow with now over 6,500 social members, a growing women’s & men’s bowling club and a premises that is always been updated to cater all our members.
From 1950 until the present Taren Point has and will always welcome anyone that wants to join the Taren Point family.